Tuesday, January 08, 2008

I am officially old

I not only have old-person church callings, I now have an old-person disease or condition. The at-risk population is over 60. I just barely turned 60 and it found me. I have shingles. So far my case is mild. It's a bit of a nuisance, but not as painful as I have heard and read it can be. Since I don't have a doctor, I went to PrimaCare. The nurse said it looked like shingles and told me why; the doctor disagreed, mainly it seems because I am not in excruciating pain. He separated the symptom of blisters near my R eyebrow from the symptom of swollen lymph nodes in the R parotid area, saying the blisters were an infection and the swelling was a diseased parotid gland, not lymph nodes. Even I, with my limited experience, made a connection there. I had looked up the lymphatic system before I went to the doctor and found that the vessels that drain into the parotid lymph nodes come from the area affected by the blisters. I hadn't suspected shingles though. So when I went home after the initial PrimaCare visit, I did some internet research on shingles. Anyone who has had chicken pox can develop this. The chicken pox virus lies dormant in the body for years. If the virus becomes active, it manifests as shingles. It seemed to me that the symptoms fit. Then the next day I had an outbreak of blisters in a vertical line on the R side of my forehead. I was worried because all the articles I read said that anti-viral treatment should begin as soon as possible to be effective and I was losing time. That was on Sunday, so on Monday morning I went back to PrimaCare and asked to see the other doctor for a second opinion. She agreed that it was probably shingles and put me on an anti-viral med. They also took some blood for a test, so we shall see in a couple of days, whether that smart, observant nurse who was the first person I saw was right. I suspect she was. She makes me proud to be a nurse. I hope I will be as good as she was in time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mary,
I happened upon your blog during a Google search about nurses. I'm a writer to ADVANCE for NURSES magazine. I would love to correspond via email and find out how you went from Sabre to RN. Plus I think it's neat you have a medical daughter and a writing daughter!
drop me a line anytime!

Lola Howle
lhowle@merion.com

chattypatra said...

Oh, Mary, I'm so sorry to read that you are sick! Are you feeling better? I hope so.

Big Hug.

newlymed said...

hey! I found a photo of shingles on the face even worse than the first one I found! I'll send you both. That should make you feel a little better. You might have gotten shingles, but your system kept it at bay!