Saturday, September 15, 2007

TV or not TV

I am not in the habit of watching TV. I often feel like a popular culture outcast when people talk about their favorite shows. As often as not, I've never even seen whatever it is they are talking about. Or if I have, I probably got bored and went on to something else before it was over. Part of it is that I can't abide watching ads; that's when I bail out. We have never had cable. I decided against it when they first wired our neighborhood for it many years ago, so we are not even set up for it. Sometimes I wish I had it for specific programs, but I would never watch enough to make it worth the fee. So Bill and I watch mostly an occasional program on PBS - like Mystery! or Masterpiece Theater or Dr Who. I like British comedies and detective shows. We check out DVDs from the library and have watched a lot of shows that way. I love the Dallas Public Library! And I've watched a lot of Scrubs because my daughter owns a couple of seasons on DVD. So I can't be a snob and say that I NEVER watch TV, but I can truthfully say that I watch very little and I will not be a good conversationalist if you want to talk about your favorite shows or the fall lineup. Lucky for me, Bill is not a couch potato either.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Hey! Why did I just find out that you had a blog?? Sorry I'm so late to find you - you don't mind if I link you up, do you?

The solution to t.v. is TIVO. We never watch commercials anymore and I just have it record a few programs for me every week (Scrubs included). Plus you can look at the guide and see what movies will be on t.v. in the next few weeks and schedule to record them so you don't have to go to Blockbuster anymore. And it's a miracle for a sports watching husband. The games now take less than a quarter of the time to watch.

Steve said...

I like my solution better, I just download it, buy the dvds or watch it on veoh.com Tivo might be cool to have too though, if you've got enough channels to make it worth it.