Monday, September 24, 2007

Accountability

If you were to look at my facebook account right now, this is what you would see at the top:

Mary Arnquist
is now going to 1) clean the cat box, 2) wash hands, 3) wash dishes, 4) clean kitchen, 5) sweep and vacuum the floor....."I go, I go, look how I go!!"
Updated 22 hours ago

So what did I actually do?? I cleaned the cat box, I washed my hands, I started to boil water for rice, I washed the dishes, dried them and put them away, I finished the rice and put it in the fridge for dinner today, I decluttered and cleaned my kitchen counters and I swept the floor. Everything that was on my list and more ... except the vacuuming. I happen to be allergic to my vacuum - sort of like how I'm allergic to the post office.

I think I was motivated because I was afraid that someone in my virtually nonexistent blogger/facebook audience would call me to task, since I put it up for all the world to see. Do you think this approach will work on my extra 20 pounds? I'll save that experiment for another day.

On another note, Melissa belongs to a Facebook group called "Why Yes, I Do Frequently Burst Out in Song". It has over 200,000 members - how cool is that!? I'm thinking I should start a copycat group called "Why Yes, I Do Frequently Quote Shakespeare Out of the Blue." I don't think it could compete with the singing group, but I have a few lines that I like to insert into conversation now and then. The quote above: "I go, I go, look how I go!" is from Midsummer Night's Dream. I thought it was "see how I go" until I looked it up last night. The problem is that I am not a Shakespearian scholar. I've just seen a lot of free Shakespeare in the Park - so I do not have a large repertoire of quotes. But I do love the plays. I was impressed with a book I recently read – The Eyre Affair. In it, 2 of the characters go to a regular Friday night performance of Richard the Third. Audience members play all the parts and have the whole thing memorized. It was Shakespeare with a cult following, sort of like the Rocky Horror Picture Show. I would love to see a production like that. And I love Richard III. The 1995 movie version, set in a mythical fascist London of the 1930s is great, as is “Looking for Richard” (1996).

No comments: