Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Snow Day, January 1985

The DISD, Dallas Independent School District, rarely calls a snow day. One January day when Sarah was in kindergarten it was an icy, snowy morning. We listened to the radio listing all the many, many school districts that were closed. Dallas was not among them. So being a proud New Englander and not afraid of snow, I dutifully took Sarah to the bus stop where only 2 or 3 of the 8 to 10 usual students got on. At the end of the day I met the bus. Sarah got off and in all seriousness said, "Mom you were wrong; there wasn't any school today." Baffled for a moment, I said, "But the bus picked you up and brought you home. Where have you been all day?" It turned out that neither of the 2 kinder teachers made it to school and only 4 or five kids from the 2 classes showed up. They spent the day with an office aid playing games and coloring. I probably should have kept her home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So I'm the Sarah in that story, but don't actually remember the incident at all! I really envy those people that have vivid memories of their childhood. I have very few events that I remember, and some that I only remember with the assistance of photos. I can't wait to be resurrected and have a perfect mind, where all things are brought back to my remembrance. Maybe I need to start a blog that will be my peripheral memory, like my PDA with medical drug program is my peripheral brain on med school rotations!