Monday, October 09, 2006

Seasonal Affective Disorder

I cannot let this day go by without acknowledging the end of my summer blues. I am taking psychology this semester and I know that seasonal affective disorder is supposed to be wintertime depression. But since moving to Texas from New England some years ago, I have noticed that every fall there is a point when I suddenly realize that I feel good again! That happened to me today! You have probably felt something similar when you recover from a physical illness. You know how bad you felt when you were sick by the sudden contrast when you feel better. I haven't tracked this in any systematic way, but it is real to me. I hate the oppressive heat of the Texas summer. Air conditioning is a blessing, but it does not modify my mood. I like to be able to go outside and walk. I can do that again now. I'm so glad it is finally fall here. Someday I will move North. Or I will at least have a place that I can escape to for the entire summer and not for just a week or two.

No comments: