Friday, April 04, 2008

Message from the Elders

About two weeks ago, I signed up to feed our missionaries on April 3rd. In honor of the upcoming occasion, I had Bill pack up the rest of the Corelle that we brought to Dallas from my mom's place in Florida. She had about 16 place settings, so I took half of it up to New England to my brother Steve and the other half has been sitting on our dining room table for 3 or 4 weeks. We will get it to James and Melissa one of these days. And it's more likely to happen now that it is packed. And thanks to the Elders, I have reclaimed the back half of my dining room table!

They did not call to confirm and we were uncertain about the appointment. I got home at about 4:20 yesterday and the light on our answering machine was flashing - a message from the Elders. I called back and they said they could only come at 5PM and if that would not work we could reschedule. I said come on over - I am turning on the oven and pulling food from the freezer as I speak. So I managed to pull together a meal and have it ready at 5 o'clock. We had a good meal and a nice visit.

One of the things I look forward to is their spiritual message. Last night they shared this scripture:

D&C 6:36 Look unto me in every thought; doubt not, fear not.

It was what I needed to hear. I have had so many doubts and fears about this and that lately. I need to exercise more faith. That scripture brought to mind another that is a favorite of mine:

Psalms 19:14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer.

As a teenager I went to MYF (Methodist Youth Fellowship) every Sunday evening. This scripture was the motto that we recited aloud every week. It's amazing how some things stick with you for a long, long time. Again, this scripture reminds me that my negative thoughts are unworthy, and I need to concentrate on putting my trust in the Lord.

3 comments:

chattypatra said...

Tell me about it, Mary. Sometimes it feels impossible to remain upbeat and optimistic in the face of adversity, but so we must. I thank you for sharing those verses.

How did you do on your tests?

Anonymous said...

feeding the missionaries...

that reminds of your famous "missionary chicken supreme"-meal :-)

take things easy

chattypatra said...

¡Oye, María! ¿Qué es de tu vida, chica? Si quieres, llámame para platicar. Espero que estés pasando una semana muy buena. Cuídate. :)