Thursday, April 24, 2008

Life

Things have been happening in my life... but I have been in such a funk [1 a: a state of paralyzing fear b: a depressed state of mind] that I have not been able to persuade myself to write. I have wanted to, but I have let the negative overshadow the positive. For five out of seven days each week things are fine, but I feel like I am not handling the other two days very well. Bill told me today that it's easy to tell which school I have been to by the kind of mood I'm in in the evening. I am beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel. TEN more days and maybe, hopefully, I'll get a reprieve.



My dear, lovely Emma is in France now - WWOOFing! She begins her adventure at Chateau de Sacy (pictured above), a little north of Paris. The AA flight from DFW to Paris had plenty of space and by one of those strange flukes, her high school French teacher was on the same plane and they sat together! I was not worried about her getting across the ocean. I was more worried about her making her way on her own by bus, train and wit from the airport to this small village 40km to the north. But she managed it. And she has been using a prepaid calling card to call home. That seems to be working well. She will be in France for about 7 weeks, staying and working on 2 different farms. My sister has also been studying French and liked the idea so much that she is going to go WWOOFing too! She is interested in cheesmaking and found a farm in the Pyranees that makes cheese. So since I have been studying Spanish, maybe I should go to a farm in Spain???

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm really sorry that you dont like your new job. i guess the school you dont like is the high school. i surely know how the urban DISD schools are so i can imagine that it's not easy for you. well, just hang in there :-)

wow, its crazy that emma is on a farm in france. does she have internet on that farm?

i've gotta call you some time soon so we can plan my visit in october / talk about the details.

love,
rene

chattypatra said...

Depressed? You're not working for the DISD, are you? ;)

Now I understand why you haven't been in touch. You are welcomed to call me or come by anytime. You can use the Spanish course as an excuse if you want. :)

I am THRILLED to hear that your darling daughter is in France. I am DYING to travel there. My French is so limited, though!

I think a cooking trip to Spain would be FANTASTIC. Deberías hacer planes para ir este verano. Pienso que te haría mucho bien. La comida y la cultura son maravillosas. Lo disfrutarías muchísimo. ¡Hazlo! Si tuviera dinero, me iba contigo.